08 January 2012

On Minecraft

The context you may find my name most in is probably Minecraft.

For anyone who doesn't know what it is: Minecraft is a voxel based sandbox game, sandbox in a way that every block your world is made of can be picked up and placed elsewhere. As stated a few times, it technically isn't a game where you get to complete a set goal or kill baddies all the time. Sure, sometimes the baddies pop up and you wave a sword at them until they go away, but that's mostly not why you are there for.
I'm there for experimenting, for building, for community and awesomeness. A dragon-rollercoaser-mountain, some TNTcannons, a viking-styled longhouse, a Sphinx and an underground jumpy-dangercourse are some of my builds and I enjoyed building them, trying to figure out how to get some stuff to work best.

One thing with Minecrafts highly propagated freedom is you are also free to join a server and annoy other people for your own fun. One (popular) example is Team Avolition on Youtube. As I wrote in a story for the Weekly Pickaxe I do not hate them for doing their stuff, I must say I enjoyed watching Team Avo's videos, but I DO hate them for destroying my stuff.
But hell, I can't blame them, the only one to blame is the server owner for not protecting their server well enough.
And I'm glad I don't own a server.

Anyways.
For some reason I really like playing Minecraft.
I like it so much that I'm still actively playing it after having it for over a year. Only CounterStrike 1.6 has done longer... Well, the main reason most people play is because there still are updates to the game's content. For example my brother got bored playing Minecraft a few months ago and a few days back decided to fire it up again. Now he's amazed by the ravines (he already covered the walls of one in wood and made it his home), he's digging through the forums and the wiki just to see what he missed and he keep bothering me with questions.

I even am participating in a Minecraft Magazine (as said before, the Weekly Pickaxe) as a news writer. Also, I have to say, while typing all this I actually should be promoting it as it's fourth issue is ready. Anyone who wants to follow Minecraft news, read Minecraft stories or just see some Minecraft stuff: head over there. Weekly updates will keep you up to date.

I'm trying to figure out what else I could say, but I think this is about it.
To anyone reading this: I hope you enjoyed it and till the next time.

-ThOR

No comments:

Post a Comment