06 February 2013

De Helaasheid Der Dingen, Translation idea

Seeing as it is lying around for quite a bit at our place I thought I should make it accessible to the internet to read, just for fun... Problem is: there is no English translation to be found (as far as i know (there is a translation of the movie, "Misfortunates", but I prefer the more literal translation "The Shittiness of Things")).

So, why shouldn't I (try to) do it?

Well, first of all, I know myself and how most long-term commitments go... They'll probably end up somewhere far away from any progress, but I still want to try to do this. Let me start with the blurb:
In The Shittiness of Things the writer returns to his birthplace, the Flemish village of Arsefeatherham. We meet his father, Pierre, who introduces his hour-old son to all his friends by carrying him in a mailbag on his bike past all the pubs in the village; his grandmother, whose night's rest is often being disturbed because of her drunk sons being delivered at home; and of course the unemployed uncles Potrel, Herman and Heavy, who consider the world championship drinking to be the highest obtainable goal and who live by the adagium "God created the day and we drag us through it"
The Shittiness of Things is both a sensitive ode to as well as a hilarious reckoning with the village of a youth. Verhulst is a strong stylist, who keeps the attention of his readers from the first page to the last with a good sense of timing and a lot of narrative power.
 The book is written by Dimitri Verhulst in 2006 and now I'll try to translate it as best as possible.

Anyways, if there'll be any progress you'll see it here.

-ThOR

No comments:

Post a Comment